Aurelia Bioscience Ltd is a pre-clinical contract research company focusing on supplying biochemical and cell-based compound screening expertise to small to medium enterprise (SME) companies, universities, charities and large pharmaceuticals companies. Our vision is to be recognised by our peers as a centre of excellence for these activities and thus a partner of choice. Underlying this is a desire to continue to contribute to the discovery of new therapeutic compounds for unmet medical need.
Our mission is to provide high quality biological assay development, compound profiling and biological screening services at reasonable cost in a timely manner with excellent client/customer scientific interactions to ensure relevant data delivery and sound scientific interpretation.
Our unique selling point is our experience and expertise in this field gained over many years working on successful candidate drug programmes in blue chip pharmaceutical companies. This allows us to identify the biological screening techniques and technologies most suited to our clients needs and avoids the pursuit of expensive and time consuming approaches unsuited to the particular piece of work or project. To this end Aurelia Bioscience has built a laboratory platform using state-of-the-art technologies that deliver a range of technical approaches, each with its own unique set of characteristics that lend themselves to particular biology. Last, but by no means least, our appreciation of the complexity of drug discovery programmes allows us to understand our client needs in the context of the larger picture and the need for synchronisation and involvement with other disciplines.
Scientists at Aurelia Bioscience Ltd have over 70 years experience in drug discovery gained at several blue chip pharmaceutical companies including Hoffmann La Roche, Smith Kline Beecham, Glaxo-Wellcome, AstraZeneca and ICI.
We have worked in pre-clinical discovery, designing and developing low, medium and high throughput assays for hits-to-lead, lead identification and lead optimisation drug discovery phases in both cellular and non-cellular assay formats. We have experience of a wide range of technologies designed to prosecute these activities in a scalable manner whilst bringing to bear technological developments that have the ability to probe ever further into the molecular interactions from which the drugs of the future may be identified.
Our research area focus has been respiratory disease, inflammatory disease, oncology, CNS-pain and diabetes working on numerous disease targets in these areas.
Fee for Service: Designing and developing both cell-free biochemical and cell-based assays for compound profiling and screening purposes for clients to include........
- Assay Development and Pharmacological Validation (for iterative screening and high throughput screening purposes)
- Assay Robustness testing (for high throughput screening purposes)
- Screening (both cell based and biochemical based assays)
- Exploratory Biology (both technology based and target based)
Drug Discovery Projects: Working within a client’s drug discovery project on specific disease targets to develop a set of bioassays designed to identify hits/leads and to provide data to increase the value of these molecules as they progress through the screening pipeline to include.......
- Iterative Cyclical Screening - Lead Identification (LI)
- Complete Drug Discovery Project - Assay Development through screening to the end of LI
Instrument/Reagent Development and Consultancy: Designing and developing technology and novel applications for instrument and reagent manufacturers, acting as consultants and providing laboratory facilities and skills to validate and exemplify new technology to include......
- Beta testing and early stage feedback for engineering, software and reagent development
- Validation of the technology for the instrument and reagent manufacturer in "real world" lab, performed in a "HTS manner" using compound pharmacology to evaluated between replicates with statistical analysis applied throughout
- Aurelia Bioscience act as an intermediary between the instrument and reagent vendor and prospective client to evaluate client compounds in the technology
- Cell line generation (either transient or stable for screening purposes)
- Cell line expansion (for screening purposes - provided frozen from the same passage)
- Membrane preparation (from a cell line over-expressing the target)